Sunday, April 11, 2010

Over The Rainbow: Bronte fails to reach the Yellow Brick Road after losing the sing-off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU8TRY-m6Kcendofvid
[starttext]
By Georgina Littlejohn

End of a dream: Despite a hug by host Graham Norton, Bronte Barbe can't hide her disappointment as she learns she is the second contestant eliminated from Over The Rainbow


She counts musical legend Julie Andrews as her biggest inspiration and dreams of one day seeing her name in lights.

But Bronte Barbe's passion and love for singing wasn't enough to get her one step closer to Oz after she was voted off Over The Rainbow tonight.

The 18-year-old from Macclesfield found herself in the sing-off against fellow Dorothy wannabe Lauren Samuels, 22, after the pair received the fewest public votes following last night's performances by the ten Dorothy finalists.


Both girls had to perform again and duetted on What I Did For Love from the musical film Chorus Line.

And unfortunately for Bronte, Lord Lloyd Webber chose to save Lauren, adding that he based his decision solely on the fact that Lauren had more experience.

But he told Bronte that she had been in his top five and added: 'You're a fantastically talented girl. You must keep in touch.'


Nervous: The 10 contestants wait to hear if they are guaranteed a place in next week's show


Sing for survival: Bronte and Lauren Samuels duet on a Chorus Line song in the sing-off


Despite her obvious disappointment, Bronte, who lives with her mother Carol and 14-year-old sister Mollie, vowed to carry on pursuing her West End dream.

She said: 'I just can't believe I've been offered this opportunity. I didn't want it to end.

'I do feel a bit robbed but I think anyone in this position would feel that way and someone had to go. I'm going to go on and do something great.'


Consolation hug: Bronte is comforted by Lauren after Andrew Lloyd Webber decides to send her home


Tears: Bronte's fellow contestants Sophie Evans and Jenny Douglas are sad to see her go


Bronte worked as a volunteer teacher at her former dance and drama school in Macclesfield before taking part in Over The Rainbow.

And she said she now plans to move to London in the hope of achieving success on the stage.

She said: 'I'm allowed two days of crying and then I've got to get back on my feet and get out there. I'm going to work really hard. I'm a grafter.'


Once in a lullaby: Bronte bids farewell to the judges and her former fellow contestants as she sings Over The Rainbow before leaving the show


She added: ''Nothing is going to come easily in this industry but hopefully I will get something that is more suitable for me.

'It sounds ridiculous but I want it so much. I don't think I'm going to go back to life as it was in Macclesfield.'

Bronte had received a mixed reaction from the judges on Saturday night for her rendition of KT Tunstall's Suddenly I See.

Eastenders' star John Partridge said: 'That song is about a revelation, and I felt you had that at the beginning of the song, which left you with nowhere really to go - there was no arc.'


Dorothy mash-up: All 10 contestants performed a mix of Money from the musical Cabaret and Madonna's Material Girl


Actress Sheila Hancock said she 'very nearly cracked it' and added: 'I saw it the whole way through, and felt that you got "bigger" as the song progresses.

'We discussed that you were imagining Julie Andrews and I did think that you got the contrast between the verse and the chorus. It could have been more defined.'

Lord Lloyd-Webber added: 'You nearly delivered it, I think you half-cracked it.'

But tonight she thanked them all for her 'amazing' and crazy' experience on the show.


One down, nine to go: Lloyd Webber smiles at his remaining contestants who will be battling it out to play Dorothy in his upcoming West End production of The Wizard of Oz
[endtext]

No comments:

Post a Comment